Monday, January 9, 2017

American Candy (the album and the stuff you eat)

Dear family and friends,

First and foremost: big thanks to the Butterfield Canyon 2nd ward for the package! Dang that was so sweet, I was pumped to get it! There´s nothing like american candy to brighten up my day! :)

We had interviews with President Rios this week! It´s always an interesting experience haha.  It´s fun though, all the office elders come down and the Whitney´s too and there´s a bunch of training and teaching going on all over the place.  We got trained on goal setting and planning and baptizing, with Sister Rios taking over the cleanliness training! It was a pretty good time.  The best was the interchange after.  The interviews finished up at about 6:00, so the office elders had like 2.5 hours to proselyte before they headed off to Casma (another zone about an hour away.)  The assistants came to our area, and Elder Benitez and I hit it hard for a few hours.  He was my district leader when I first got here and a great friend who helped me through that adjustment. I really respect him a lot.  It was so sweet! Imagine the Oregon Ducks offense proselyting (the offense of the past...I heard they weren´t that good this year).  Fast, efficient, hard, natural and super fun.  I felt like we got so much done in those two hours! It was sweet, and it gave me a clear goal to work on all of 2017: become that type of missionary!

Fun Peruvian culture: HUGE parties for babies turning one year old.  Like, big big big parties.  Lots of themed decorations, hiring people to come and act as certain characters, really loud club-style music, lots of food, etc.  It´s wild.  The most popular themes are Frozen and Jake and the Never Land Pirates.  Why did my parents not know about this when I turned one?? ;)

I talked a bit about studying in Spanish last week, and I learned something else this week that has impacted the way I teach. Here are the Lord´s words to Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon as they taught the gospel far from their homes: "But a commandment I give unto you, that ye shall declare whatsoever thing ye declare in my name, in solemnity of heart, in the spirit of meekness, in all things."  1) We have to declare it in his name! That´s a neat opportunity and privilege all missionaries have: speaking in Christ´s name as His representative.  But it has to be something he would say! Something based on his doctrine.  2) We have to be serious! Be bold! Solemn! Realize the importance of the message and don´t treat it lightly.  3) We say it in the spirit of meekness.  Humbly and with kindness! With a smile on our face and love in our heart! What´s the promise we receive as we declare things in Christ´s name, with solemnity and meekness?? "And I give unto you this promise, that inasmuch as ye do this the Holy Ghost shall be shed forth in bearing record unto all things whatsoever ye shall say."  I´ve been trying to apply that in my teaching.  It´s fun. 

Have a great week!  Talk to ya next monday!!

Love, Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment