Monday, August 22, 2016

Eternal Marriage. And Faith. And Math.

Dear family and friends,

We´ve had a super week here on the mish! Just like all the other weeks.  Here are a few of the highlights:

On Saturday we went to help out my ward mission leader with a little math homework before our correlation meeting.  He goes to college but...I think it´s a pretty easy college to get into haha.  Nonetheless, I was getting all "trunky" looking at math problems and starting to work things out in my head.  Elder Ricse is pretty dang smart too; he goes to San Marcos University, which is the top university here in Perú.  He told me that of 25,000 people that applied for his major, only 11 made it, and he was one of them! So we make a pretty fun duo talking about nerdy things, though math in english is much easier than math in spanish haha...

I talked a bit about Christ in my last email and, because of lack of time, didn´t finish that thought.  Some people say we aren´t Christians.  However, as I thought about it, we as a church credit more power and saving grace to Christ´s atoning sacrifice than anyone else!  We believe that He has so much power and mercy that he can even save the dead from the effects of the Fall.  That He has so much power that he not only forgives us of sin, but can make us into gods! No one else in the world believes that! Surely, we are Christians, and credit more power to Jesus Christ than most.

I caught 3 seconds of the USA Spain basketball game in the Olympics.  Did you guys see that rebound?? ;)

We had a baptism yesterday of a little girl in our ward.  It wasn´t a convert baptism, but I´ve grown pretty close to this family in my time here.  We went and took an investigator with us.  Well, as most things here in Perú, they took more of the wing it approach haha.  We showed up with our investigator (just to watch, remember!) and found an empty font and baptismal clothes nowhere in sight! Our branch president turned to us and basically gives us the look of "Well Elders...?" Haha so we filled the font nice and fast, tracked down the baptismal clothes, I directed the service, we both gave talks and were the witnesses.  Haha it´s pretty cool actually how the people here think of the Elders as superheroes almost, able to do anything on a moments notice.  I was grateful for having been able to participate so fully in the baptism.

Yesterday, in Gospel Principles, the teacher went about 10 levels too deep in talking about Eternal Marriage.  There are investigators present here!!! Haha it was all good though, lots of cringeworthy and uncomfortable moments, but we made it through alive and enlightened a little more.  Just know that he was literally telling individual people exactly what was going to happen in their situation in the millenium and kingdoms of glory, and I´m not exactly sure if it was based 100% in doctrine and what the brethren have said.  We may have a little clean up and clearing up to do this week with a few people haha...

To finish, I´ve been doing a fun little thing in my studies.  In the pamphlet we pass about in the third lesson, the gospel of Jesus Christ, it says that faith is "firm beliefs that lead us to action."  I feel like sometimes we just throw that word, faith, around without even knowing what we´re saying.  Now, every time I see the word faith, I substitute "firm beliefs that lead to action." It´s pretty interesting. For example, Moroni 7:33. "And Christ hath said: If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me." Or in other words, if we have firm beliefs in Christ that lead us to act, he will give us power to accomplish his will! I don´t know why I´m just finding this out...

Have a great week! Love ya all!

Elder Hart  





No comments:

Post a Comment