Monday, October 10, 2016

You're from Utah, right?

Dear family and friends,

We´ve had a week full of service! Wednesday we cleaned the walls of a chapel here; that turned into a water fight pretty dang fast.  Friday we moved firewood (everyone cooks with propane gas or on open fires) and Saturday we did the good ole "Helping Hands" service, or as it´s called here, "Manos que ayudan."  You can go to gngwhitney.blogspot.com to see pics haha.

Stemming from that service was an interesting drama.  To make a long story short, we had to deny a refreshment that the members had prepared for everyone involved in the service.  Boy oh boy, the members got pretty offended haha.  All day Saturday we were hearing, "Why didn´t you guys eat the refreshement??" It got pretty big haha, all for nothing.  The District President is going to have a talk with the zone leaders and everything! Hopefully it doesn´t affect our relationship with the members too much, especially because the only members there were from our branch!!

One funny thing here: the little kids.  Many of them like to say, "Hello," whenever we pass by.  They think Elder Ricse is North American too, especially for his non-latino last name and the whiteness of his skin.  I´ll be honest, if I saw him in the US, I´d think he spoke English too.  Add the missionary tag and it´s a done deal.  The thing that´s even funnier, however, is the responses of my companions.  EVERY COMPANION I¨VE HAD (all latinos)  has been lightning fast, way faster than me, in responding with a "Hello" of their own!  It´s a funny sight: two latinos, walking in Perú, greeting each other with "Hellos", while the only one who speaks English remains silent.

Elder Ricse and I had a neat conversation this week.  We got rejected kinda harshly by a referral we had received.  As we walked away, he said, "Let´s just let Alma and Amulek teach them in the spirit world." It was funny, but it got us thinking...do you think they´re back together?? Then we started thinking of all the powerful companionships that are back together, doing the work on the other side of the veil.  "Alma and Amulek: The Comeback!" would make for a pretty sweet movie;)

One of the craziest things of the mish also happened this week.  I was standing, minding my own business, buying a flashlight, when a girl approached us and began to talk to my companion.  I didn´t think much of it, that is until I heard, "You´re from Utah, right?".  I was so shocked to hear someone speak English! Next question: "You´re the Mormons, right?" It was some girl from Chicago here doing something with Peace Corps...I think.  It was so weird to speak English with a non missionary though! The first time that´s happened since I got here! So that was funny haha.

Haha sorry for the lack of spiritualness this week.  The work of the Lord continues.  Shall we not go on in so great a cause?? I love this experience.  What a unique opportunity! Talk to you all next week!

Love, Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment