Saturday, October 21, 2017

Repetition Fosters Revelation!

Dear family and friends,

Well, the time continues to FLY! This week we had two multizone conferences, here in Trujillo and in Chimbote.  President Rios focused on two talks given in the most recent new mission president seminar: Elder Holland, focused on the Holy Ghost; and Elder Renlund, focused on effective study.  It's an interesting experience being in the same conference twice.  I always would have thought they were exactly the same, which they aren't! President changes things between the two conferences which leads to lots of new things learned and as Elder Walter F. Gonzalez said when he visited our mission, "Repetition fosters revelation."  The repetition of the topics touched on in the conferences certainly helps me receive revelation, which is also a neat opportunity.

As far as other news....that was pretty much the highlight this week! We got to visit the De Los Santos family in Chimbote again (my pensionista when I was there) which is always a treat! It was probably the last time I'll be down in Chimbote, a city I've grown to love a lot.  It's pretty much a repeat of two years ago, with lots of "This is the last time I'll (fill in the blank)" thoughts running through my head.  Such a strange feeling! 

We had a nice thing happen to us this week as we taught Cielo and her mom Roxana.  Cielo wants to be baptized in November, and had a date for the 4th, but is working on Sundays! After attending two consecutive Sundays at least a month ago, she hasn't been since because of her work schedule.  We taught them the importance of the Sabbath Day again this week, and Roxana made an interesting comment: "We should do it! Reading The Book of Mormon has blessed us so much, this commandment is bound to bless us too!" What a good thing for a missionary to hear! The next lesson, we showed up at their house and Cielo informed us that she would no longer be working Sundays to be able to attend church!! If all goes as planned, she'll be baptized in November!

Tomorrow is a country wide census, which means no church, no leaving the house, and definitely no proselyting, until 5:00 PM.  I'm looking forward to getting some studying done and I think we're going to repeat the pancake breakfast from general conference! It will be the first such day in quite a long time though, I don't know how my mind and body will react to just being cooped up all day long! 

Perú doesn't play New Zealand until November 6, so no updates there. ;)

While visiting a very interesting man this past week, he posed the following question: "Do you love all four of your brothers and sisters the same??" I responded, "Um....yes!" He shook his head like he couldn't believe it and yelled, "Mentira!!" the translation of which would be something like "Liar!" or "That's a lie!"  It was so strange! Then, the next question, "Do you love both of your parents the same?" I again said yes, and he again couldn't believe it! I think most people in the world would have responded the same way I did, but it was still an eye opener a little bit.  I think I still take way too much for granted! I'm not sure I realize how much the Savior blesses my family for living His gospel.  I don't think I recognize His hand NEARLY enough.  The deep feelings of love that I have for my family, and many others have for theirs, stem from covenants made and kept and eternal principles, such as those found in The Family: A Proclamation to the World, understood and lived by.  What an incredible thing it is to posses a knowledge of the restored gospel! 

I love you all! Have a solid week!



Elder Hart  

No comments:

Post a Comment