Saturday, September 2, 2017

Always Remember Him!

Dear family and friends,

I know I always talk about how nuts the weeks are, but holy cow are they nuts! The main theme of this week was interviews! We were in VirĂº, Chimbote, and Casma interviewing and training missionaries for about half the week.  It seems so relaxed, so chill--you just simply sit there and let missionaries come to you, give little training, repeat a few times, and you're done! For real though, it gets you tired! I have way more respect for all my high school and seminary teachers after running through the process a few times! 

We went to a "Matrimonio Masivo," like a mass wedding, this morning because we're teaching a couple who was getting married! Wow, what an experience! We walk in and it's in this basketball arena-type place (it was actually the first time Elder Stroud or I had been in a basketball stadium since being here so we were getting pumped about that!) with a bunch of cheap plastic chairs set up and strange music playing. Our investigators, Robert and Laura, told us it would start at 9:00, so we showed up at 8:55 to get good seats.  Empty.  There was hardly anyone there! We were the first "spectators" and not one couple had shown up yet.  Well, they started filing in and by about 10:30 we could finally get started! To start they do about everything except get the people married! This old guy starts singing, then a band does a few numbers, then these salsa dancers came in, and finally by 11:15 or so they were on to the actual ceremony.  The guy stands up, announces the rules/laws about being married, says, "Girls, do you accept?"; "Boys, do you accept?"; everyone says yes, and he announces, "Alright, you're all married, kiss the bride!"  It literally took less than a minute!! Then these waiters dressed up in tuxedos started passing out the Inka Cola in paper cups to all the marriages haha!

The language in the sacrament prayer, "always remember Him," has been on my mind lately.  We commit to ALWAYS remembering the Savior when we are baptized, and recommit every week during the sacrament.  Mormon's invitation to Moroni is similar: "May Christ lift thee up, and may his sufferings and death, and the showing his body unto our fathers, and his mercy and long-suffering, and the hope of his glory and of eternal life, rest in your mind forever." I wonder how different our actions would be if we truly always remembered Him, as we covenant to do? How different would I be as a missionary? What would I think about, what would I do, and say, and be? How much more could I bless others around me if I let his sufferings, death, resurrection and post mortal appearances "rest in my mind" continually? It's something I'm doing my best to do, and will surely be striving the rest of my life to master! 

I love you all:)

Elder Tanner Hart

PS It's gameday baby!! Opening day of college football, we're definitely very aware!






No comments:

Post a Comment