Saturday, July 1, 2017

Breaking Peruvian Myths

Dear family and friends,

This week we found a lady named Stefany, the wife of an active church member.  She's been going to church for 2 YEARS, and the missionaries have never visited her! They used to live in a place called "La Esperanza," and for some reason that we don't know, the missionaries never made it to their house! Well, they moved here to Monserrat about 3 months ago, we talked to them and they invited us to their house, and she's pretty prepared to receive the gospel! She's been to a baptismal service, has had lots of gospel questions answered by her husband, and, that we can see, has no impediments to joining the church.  It was a little miracle! 

Also, when people hear "Perú," I think I know what comes to mind: adobe and dirt houses, poverty, heat, etc.  Well in this part of Trujillo, called Monserrat, that's prett much false.  People have so much money here! It's a rich area.  For example, Stefany and Luis' (her husband) house is huge! It's super modern, giant, and probably the nicest house I've ever been in in my life, including in the states!! And about the heat: it's getting cold at night! I've been using a sweater pretty much every night, it dips down to probably 40-50 degrees! 

On Wednesday, we had to print off some document and take it to some sister missionaries so that they can change pension (the lady who feeds them).  Their area, Salaverry, is about 20 minutes away from our area in a taxi. At least when there's no huge crash on the freeway....which there was on Wednesday.  The trip there was 45ish minutes, but luckily the taxi driver (a member who we often call to take us places) knew a shortcut to avoid the traffic on the way back! It was a little tiny barely-two-lane road that about a thousand other people other knew. The way back? An hour and a half.

We were in a lesson on Thursday night, teaching Hermana Kattia about tithing to prepare her for her baptism on July 8th.  As we were starting the lesson, President Rios called us and told me I would be headed to the office as his assistant this transfer! They gave me 24 hours to pack and say bye to members and investigators, and yesterday night I was at the assistants' house! Our P-Day is on Saturday, which is why I'm emailing today haha.  I have mixed feelings for sure: nervous about change and the unknown, but super excited to learn and serve in a new capacity! I'm with Elder Rice from Provo until he goes home in August, then I'll get a new companion and most likely finish here in November! 

I love the numerous times in the Doctrine and Covenants where the Savior states; "I am in your midst and ye cannot see me"; "There will I be in the midst of them—even so am I in the midst of you" ; "I myself will go with them and be in their midst"; and so on and so forth.  What a comforting promise! I myself will go with them! There certainly has to be some element of faith and confidence that enters our mind when we consider that the Savior himself will be with us! He is in our midst, even though we can't see him! I have lots more to learn about the topic, but it's been on my mind lately.  

I love you all tons, have a wonderful week!

Elder Hart











No comments:

Post a Comment